• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Some advice needed Please

Started by randomeyesight, October 08, 2008, 02:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomeyesight

Okay I've been working away at this for a while and wondering a question. I noticed cycling through the channels, there is a lot of damage to the blue channel, in that there is almost no good data there. So is there a way to lower the blue channel without making the colours all wonky? I keep trying to deduce the blue channel and add info from the red and green channels which are relatively undamaged but it just really screws up the colours. Or does that technique only work on black and white pictures?

And if so, how much further would you go with this one? I feel if I clone too much further it's going to get a very unnatural look. I'll keep fiddling around with it but would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
:up:

Ausimax

I don't know of any way to drop a colour channel and maintain the original colour _ there is a way by replacing the blue channel with the lightness channel  from LAB mode - I will see if I can find the method and post it.

The other option that sometimes works is to create a greyscale image by blending the two good channels using Channel Mixer - repair the damage on the grayscale layer - then place the damaged colour layer above the grayscale layer and set its blend mode to colour.

It may still require merging the two layers and clean up the residual damage - this doesn't always work well, sometimes the colours are off, but the use of level/curves may help.

I can't help much with what else needs to be done, the image size is to small to really give a realistic judgement, from what I can see I would suggest the concrete facade of the building could be improved.

Max

From Katrin Eismann's "restoring and retouching"

1. Duplicate the damaged file and select Image > mode > Lab Color. The lab Color mode separates the colour information from the lightness ( also called Luminance) information, You now have the original RGB and duplicated Lab mode files.

2. Click the Blue channel in the RGB file. Select the L channel in the Lab file and, with the Move tool, Shift + drag it on top of the damaged Blue Channel. This will replace the Blue channel with the L channel in perfect registration.

You will still need to balance the colours with a levels adjustment layer.

Hope this helps!

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tess (Tassie D)

I found this tutorial which replaces the blue channel with a copy of the red channel. It may help?

http://www.webdesign.org/web/photoshop/photo-editing/replacing-a-defective-channel.136.html
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Hi and welcome.

There are so many ways in PS to fix the problems we face here at OPR. There is no one way that works for all photos, if only it were that easy.

I took a very simple approach on your photo.

Be sure you are working in full screen mode.

I went to layer menu> new adjustment layer> hue/sat hit OK  Click on the down arrow in the window that says master and a list drops down.  Choose yellows and move the saturation slider to the left to apporx. -60, click OK.  On my calibrated monitor this number looked good but yours might need a different number.  I then flattened the layers.  I made a new layer and set the mode to "color"  with a soft brush I chose a dark green area around the bushes and painted in some of the washed out green areas on the photo, then added a Gaussian blur to even out the color.

Hope this helps.................Mary