• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Greetings from Ohio

Started by Mshake5918, September 28, 2008, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mshake5918

I am very grateful for the opportunity to help in this way. What a fantastic idea! I have been browsing the galleries and looking at some before and after work and I am impressed! :up:

Not having done to much restoration work I intend to start out with some easier ones and work into the harder ones little by little.

I'm also actively recruiting fellow photograhers from other forums to join in this effort and I already have commits from 7 of them so far and I am sure there will be many more.

I heard about OPR from the NAPP podcast.

Ratz

Welcome, Mike, this is a great place to hang out and we are always looking for new blood >:D
Have fun.

weewood

David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

Mshake5918

Thanks for the welcome!

I have already picked out a couple photos to work on. Just waiting for an e-mail to go and download  one.

I expected to see more photos then there are in the galleries right now  Is it just low right now or do they get processed fairly quickly? A lot of what I saw needs major work, beyond what I can do but many look like they require minor levels and curves adjustments and minor cloning and healing brush work, well within my abilities.

Mhayes

Hi Mike, welcome to OPR. I had to smile when you asked if our supply of photos was low. Unfortunately, we have such a backlog that we need to get it down so that we can handle the next copy run.

We have plenty of photos waiting to hit the galleries--a 1,000 plus. We do not put more out for the reason that we would never see a family get all their photos restored. After all of the family's photos have been restored and uploaded, they are looked at by Quality Control. Once they all pass, they are uploaded to the printer  to be printed and shipped out free of charge to the family. If we flooded our galleries with too many photos, then only the best and most interesting photos would be chosen. When that happens, it slows down the process of getting all of a family's photos done. Right now you are looking at more photos than is usual. We wanted to have a variety of photos so that all skill levels could have a chance to restore. Don't worry, there are lots more photos!!!

We are happy you are here and we will keep you busy with photos to restore.  ;D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Welcome Mike, glad to have you here. We appreciate you recruiting fellow photographers as well. There are so many photos to repair.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Welcome, Mike

And thanks for sending out word of OPR.  As for the galleries, they get replenished as the load goes down.  In many instances our coordinators are trying to complete a group for one family and only one or two need to be done (usually the worst of the worst!).  Fortunately the galleries contain images at all levels of difficulty, so grab what you feel comfortable tackling at first, and I suspect you'll get to the point that you'll want to go for some that are a little more challenging.  Anything you do is a tremendous gift to the families to whom we're trying to return what we can of their treasured history.  And this group is always ready to help with questions or difficulties.

It's great to have you with us!  Hope to see you on the forum.

Bless

Glenna (aka GK)
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

mitzs

Welcome Mike! Don't worry about your skill level, just pick what you think you can and if you get stuck just ask for help here. Everyone has been really great to pitch in even when I know they anwser some of the questions over and over again. They don't care, they are always right there for you.  :up:

Dave

Hi Mike. This is a great place to improve your skills and your surrounded by people who are happy to help you.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum, enjoy your first restore!
(and if you get stuck or need a fresh pair of eyes, we're here to help!)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Welcome Mike from a fellow Ohioan. I am a transplant from another state but have been here for many years. This is a great group. The only dumb question is the one not asked when you are stuck or would like some additional eyes to look over the work. Also look around as there are many great tutorials in the forum.

Johnboy

Mshake5918

Thanks everyone, :up:

I have already finished my first photo and sent it in. All went well and no problems at all with the process. Looking forward to more but I won't be able to do them until after I get back from vacation in mid October. New Hampshire and the White Mountains are calling me.

glennab

Mike, you're going to one of the states I love most (Florida first, Maine second, then NH).  I was born in a little town not far from the incredible White Mountains and still have family there.  Unfortunately, being a Navy brat, I only spent my first 18 months in Gorham and we'd stop at "home" between tours.  New England is so stunning this time of year.  I hope the leaves are as glorious as they were the last time I was there. Enjoy!

Congrats on completing your first restoration.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)