• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Wedded Bliss, part 2

Started by Johnboy, September 26, 2008, 09:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

I decided to start a new thread on this as most of the last thread was on the grooms hair. This one has been a challenge for me but I think I pretty much have it about ready. That is until the eagle eyes get done with it.

Original

Restoration

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

Tess (Tassie D)

That's looking really great Johnboy. :up: The white is really blown in the original. I wonder if you can tone it down a fraction in the restore?
The only thing I see left is the red strip on the paneling right on the edge of the brides side of the photo.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Tassie.

I think the red strip is from the copying of the photo. The photo may have been trimmed irregularly. There was a white strip of damage down the right side which I was able to cover up, and now may make the red stripe more obvious. The red could be covered up by copying the top area and bringing it down.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Johnboy, I'm sure the photo was trimmed irregularly to take out part of the damage. I think the red you are seeing is from a red particle board that the print was laid on. You could sample the color of the paneling and paint over the strip.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

John, I really like how you restored this one.  There was so much damage (not so visible on low res) and you brought the photo back to life without the painted look!  :wnw:

After the red stripe touch up it should be ready to go home.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Thanks for the comments.

Margie, I am aware that the red is from the copy board back ground. I just wasn't sure if I should take it out or not. I also thought the owners may have trimmed it to fit a frame. You know how straight we all cut.

Thanks Hannie. It was a lot of patch tool, some copy and paste, some healing brush, some photo filter,  more patch tool, more copy and paste. I had put Katrin Eismann's book on my birthday wish list, and I got a copy of the third edition. Of course I had to page through some of it. I came across the section on selective color correction as there were some off color areas even after doing restoration. I thought this may be my solution to correcting the off color. While the tutorial didn't work in this case I did notice the photo of the Info palette where she talked about the color balance. Never really noticed what was going on in that palette. Long story short, I started using it to find areas that were pretty close to a neutral white while working on the coat. To get rid of the off color areas I made a selection where needed and ended up using Christine's tutorial on "Fixing a Color Cast." It did the job better than curves which I had used earlier. Of course sitting in the dark with a flash light after hurricane Ike's wind storm gives you all kinds of time to read those tuts that were printed off some months ago. Overall I did some things with this one that I never tried before. So when I got to this stage I was feeling pretty good. not ready for the real tough ones yet but working that way. I am just not a painter yet and maybe that is a good thing.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Johnboy, my feelings are that the red strip is a distraction. So many of these photos are going to have really uneven borders, because of the problems of the removal from their frames. Besides the owners, we were doing a lot of trimming and cutting photos from their frames when they were brought in. You have done a nice job on this one.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

Margie, I agree about the red line. I have removed it and it does look much better. I also added a 1% grey to the highlight white on the brides dress and up around the neck and upper shoulder area on the groom's coat. I didn't want to knock it down too much. This was Tassie's suggestion. So here is the latest version as per suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

Tess (Tassie D)

That looks perfect Johnboy. :up:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

Thanks. I'll get this one going home.

Johnboy

glennab

Well done, JB!  I love the ethereal look of this photo, but I know it's been a bear to complete.  It's so heartening to know that this lovely couple will get back a precious moment of their past.  Don't you just love this work!?

Hugs,

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Thanks Glenna. Yes it looked a lot easier than it turned out to be but many of the photos we work on have that quality. I feel the most satisfied with this one. I guess because I learned a lot, and did many more different operations to it than in past restorations.

Yes this is great work. I don't have money to go directly to help this folks in their recovery.  But if I can sit at home on my computer, and my work helps to keep memories alive for more years, then all is worth the time.

Anyway this one was uploaded awhile ago to be sent home. I hope the happy couple enjoy it for many years.

Johnboy

mitzs

John you did a great job on that!  :up2: