• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Official Hurricane Watch thread

Started by John, August 30, 2008, 08:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

EDIT: Just keeping this as an open hurricane watch thread...

glennab

John, what a frightening time for those of us in the path of these monsters!  I'm so concerned for the people who already suffered so much from Katrina.  Last I heard Gustav's heading straight for them.  We're getting some of the outer bands, and they're packing a bit of a wallop.  Lots of rain!  Say a little prayer for all of us.  A small push from a high pressure system, and Tampa Bay could get the storm.  Imagine trying to evacuate an overpopulated peninsula with only 3 major bridges and a thin slice of land between us and the also overpopulated mainland.  Disaster upon disaster!

I'm doing a lot of groveling to our guardian angels!

The tracking map is great.  Thanks for posting it.

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

That looks really bad, keeping my fingers crossed for everyone over there.

Thanks for posting this tracking page John.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

John, thanks for the live link; it's like having a crystal ball into the future. Already Gustav has claimed 80 lives and it isn't over yet. The worst part is knowing that once Gustav is back out on water, the conditions of the warm water will help the hurricane grow in strength.

Glenna, my thoughts are with you and everyone in Gustav's path--may you all be safe!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

I really hope this downgrades to a tropical storm. So many people just getting their lives and homes back together only to have another one come along.  :'( I hope you stay safe Glenna and everyone else in its path.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

The poor people of Cuba were hit bad, many many homes are destroyed. 
Gustav seems to be losing power though, lets hope it does.  New Orleans looks like a ghosttown now, thank God all those people were able to get out safely.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

Jim and Anita, my brother and sister-in-law made it out of New Orleans yesterday and are in Jackson, Mississippi.   Our nephew, Don, made it out and is Vicksburg, Mississippi.  Family is safe this time. 

Oklahoma was expecting 8 busses from Louisiana and 35 arrived!!  What a great state I live in.  The emergency plans have been in place since 2005 and they are working, even with the overflow. 

glennab

Candy, I'm so glad your family is safe.  When I got up this morning and saw where the storm was heading, I was in tears.

I understand what you mean about being proud of your state.  It's awesome that so many people were welcomed there.

I have to say, I'm proud of Florida, as well.  Even with our shores in danger from Gustav's outer bands as well as Hanna, our governor is sending as many people as he can to the Gulf Coast to help.  (I can't imagine anyone would feel safe evacuating to Florida right now!)

Having been on the Biloxi run last year and seeing all the devastation still evident, I can't bear to think of how much more the people of that area can endure.  They have my prayers and best wishes.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Candy, it is great to hear your family are safe!  From what I heard on the news Gustav lost some of its strength.  I saw the levees on the news and the water is up pretty high, that storm better not get any worse.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

So glad to hear the storm lost quite a bit of its power before hitting land and your family is safe Candy. Hopefully the storm surge won't go over the levees.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Hurricane Ike is making a mess.  :(

Hurricane Ike video news
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

hoodman3

My parents live in west Houston and my sister and her family are about 15 miles west in Katy. Talked to them both this am and my sister and my parents are all OK, but my parents don't have any power. No flooding, just heavy winds in both locations. The bottom of the storm is projected to be the worst. They figure it will start to die down about 2:00 this afternoon.

Pete
Windows XP, CS3

klassylady25

Only if you have lived on the coast lines do you understand the feelings this brings out.  I've lived in New Orleans and now in tornado alley - Oklahoma.

Wish your parents our best.

Candice

glennab

Pete, what a relief that your family's okay.  I'm watching CNN, and the destruction they're showing in Galveston and Houston is incredible.  Mama Nature is showing her power, for sure!  It could just as easily been us.  Horrendous!

Hugs to you and your family.

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Pete, I'm happy your family made it OK! I was glued to the TV till 2:00 am this morning watching both CNN and the Weather Channel. Seeing the power of Hurricane Ike was unbelievable! What really got me was hearing that in Galveston they were getting a lot of calls from people wanting to be rescued and it was already too late!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]