• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Wedded bliss

Started by Johnboy, August 11, 2008, 09:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

I am just starting my latest. So far I have worked on the wall, shifted some of the torn image at the bottom, and worked on the front area of the man's hair. My main concern is his hair. I thought I would get opinions before I went too far and had to start over.

Original

Restoration

Hair close up, original

Hair close up, restoration

I have not done anything with the side of his hair by the ear yet. I thought if I can get the worst damage in the front corrected the rest of the hair shouldn't be too difficult (famous last words  ;D). Thanks for any suggestions. Also I don't have a graphics tablet so that may present a problem working with the hair.

Johnboy

glennab

Hi JB

You have plenty of hair from which to clone, and that's the route I'd take, working in the direction of the hair with a small brush, maybe 6 or 7px at 70 or 80%.  If you lose texture, as you have in the area near his forehead, you can either patch or heal to get rid of the fuzzy look.  I'm certainly not a hair expert, but I'm going in that direction with my current restoration, and where I actually have hair with just a little muck, it's working well.  I haven't lost much texture in the cloning process, so haven't had to patch much. Worth a try!

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Johnboy, it looks good what you are doing!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Thanks Glenna and Hannie. Glenna your are seeing the same fuzzy look as I am. I did a little painting over part of the area which I think helped some. I primarily used the patch tool to get where I am. I'll give cloning a try next. Have to get him looking handsome again.

Johnboy

Johnboy

Glenna, I tried some of your suggestions but they didn't work well on this one. So I decided to start over on the hair. I just slowly chipped away using the patch tool in small sections. Also used some slightly larger sections to get better blending. To get a little more texture in the front I copied a small portion of hair, free transformed it to fit, dropped the opacity and painted a little around the edges. So please pull out the eagle eyes and let me have it. Again I have concentrated on the more damaged portion of the man's hair at the front.

close up of repaired area

full view

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

glennab

Hi JB

I'm not sure I'm qualified to give you any further suggestions, and you'll know why I say that when you look at the baby boy I posted yesterday.  I got carried away, and his "created" hair looks awful.

However, I will make an observation and also post an example of what I'd do just to smooth some of the areas that appear cloned or patched.  The area I circled in the sample below is where I noticed the "chunkier" spots as well as a couple places that had color discrepancies.  What I did was use the smudge tool at about 4 or 5 px, 50% opacity and brushed along the areas that I thought needed the most smoothing.  The trick is to not overdo it (my biggest problem) but to just smooth the hair enough that there's continuity in the length of the strands without totally losing the separation of the different shades.  The area right in front by the part seemed too dark to me, so I sampled some of the more reddish hue and painted strands at 2-3px, just enough to be able to then blend them in with the smudge tool.

I'll post the image, and you can decide whether my technique would work for you.  I'm still learning, so practicing on your project is helping me to get a better feel for what looks more realistic to me.  All I can say is... for what it's worth...

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Glenna,

That front area is where I put the copied hair. I did notice some abrupt change in the dark area but thought it didn't look too bad. Also thought it best to get some other input. I had tried to use the smudge tool but didn't like the result. I'll look into your suggestions.

Yes I saw your baby post. Maybe Mary is on and can give some other suggestions. I liked what she did.

I think I'll work on this tomorrow and post the results then.

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

glennab

Hi JB

Yep, Mary's baby hair is exactly what I meant to do.  Obviously I don't have her abilities, but I figure if we observe her techniques often enough, some of it'll have to rub off.  We can hope?

I'm off to see what Fay's going to do to us.

Cheers,

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Johnboy I sometimes use the dodge burn method.  You can dodge and burn at about 7% or whatever looks good and use all 3 highlights, midtones and shadows settings.  Look at the original for placement. I did it in the example below but I forgot to blur it a little.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Johnboy,  here is my version of the hair on both subjects.  I did the usual but I don't remember that I use the scruffy brush from Furiae.com set very small for most of the work.  At the end I duped the layer and added a filter> texture> enlarged grain>10%> no contrast.  Added a hide all mask and then just paiinted the grain on the hair.  Hope this helps you.

Mary

mschonher

Well that wording didn't come out as I had intended.  What I meant to say is that I cannot remember if I told everyone about the brush that I use for hair.  It's for free at Furiae.com.  It has many good uses. I use this brush small for for most of the details and large for laying in the base colors.  Sorry for any confusion.

Mary       :D

Johnboy

Mary.

I went to the site looking for the brush or brush downloads but didn't see them. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. I did take time to read the hair painting tutorial. I think I'll go back later to read the others. Can you point to the brush download please?

Johnboy

Johnboy

Thanks for all the suggestions on the hair. Mary, I liked yours the best but I am not quite ready to be a hair stylist yet. So what I have is a combination of copy & paste, flipping, smudging, painting, more smudging, erasing, etcetera, etcetera.  :crazy:  It looks better than what I had before. So it is critique time. I am sure something more can be improved.

When I was painting I started to grasp some of the concept for painting hair. So there maybe hope for being somewhat of a hair stylist someday.

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy