• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Colour matching and profiles?

Started by DaveG, July 08, 2006, 09:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schen

Sorry Kurt, I did not know originality is required.   :-[
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

schen

Hope I am not boring you with all these technical details but I am having fun finding new things about my computer.

After these discussion about color profiles, I decided to change my camera's color mode to AdobeRGB. The first thing I noticed was that the file name format changed.   :(   What a disappointment.  I was expecting to see some color changes of the photo.  I called the Nikon digital camera technical support hot line and was told that was the way it supposed to happen.

I went out and took about 70 pictures yesterday with the AdobeRGB color mode.  It slowed down my PC when I opened the folder of the pictures with Windows explorer thumbnails mode.  Each thumbnail took more than one second to paint and the CPU of the computer was running near 100%.  I could not do anything with the computer for about two minutes.  Every time I reopened that folder, I had to wait for a while before I could use the computer again.

A whole day passed before I found out that under Display Properties->Settings->Advanced, there is a tab called "Color management".  I added AdobeRGB1998 to the color profile and it replaced the previous one of sRGB something.

Now, it takes about two seconds to paint all the thumbnails of the folder regardless of the color profiles of the files in that folder.

I don't know what all these mean.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

Hi Schen,

That is a great tip. (very poor though that the Nikon tech did not try s little harder...)
But isn't it fun finally to figure things out yourself after working so hard at it!
Hope you see some color change in your photos now.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]