• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Who needs PhotoShop?

Started by schen, June 15, 2008, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schen

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Ratz

Interesting link Shujen. they did a fairly good job of it way back then without all the goodies we have today.

Tess (Tassie D)

Good article. It paid not to fall out with the leaders of the day.

It's interesting how they still refer to Niépce as the inventor of photography. I suppose he did produce the first'photograph' but Fox Talbot was the inventor of the calotype method, later refined by George Eastman.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Shujen, fascinating stuff!  Thanks for sharing this.  Not having ever been involved with anything other than digital photographic images, I'd love to know how the changes were made, and especially how long the process took.

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Thanks for the link Chen, things haven't changed much now have they!  (only the tools!)
Glenna, I tried to find out more about the history of photo retouching techniques but to my surprise I couldn't find very much on the net.  (probably used the wrong search terms)
There is a little info on the Wikipedia site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo_manipulation

I always thought that the used to paint on the negatives/plate.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Hannie, for some things you can retouch directly on the negative (to add density). On a bw only you can also use a razor/exacto to scrape off density.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

schen

Remember the team photo of the Winona copy run?

Of course, Chris was the only one with red shoes.

And Margie missed the flight.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

Shujen was nice enough to beam me up in this photo. Originally it was planned to have a group photo taken when we all met up at the LaCrosse airport, but unfortunately Murphy's law kicked in and I was stranded at the Chicago O'Hara airport. Shujen contacted Jan with an idea that when I arrived some four hours later, a photo would be taken on me in the same spot as the others. Later that photo was given to Shujen to PhotoShop me in. I think he did a pretty good job, but wished he would have used Photoshop to slim my hips.  :funny:

I loved the link and think those earlier photos were pretty good. While most of the changes were political, I loved the vanity of removing the handler holding the horse in slide #6 of Benito Mussolini.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]