• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Finally, the gold scratches are gone

Started by schen, May 03, 2008, 12:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schen

I promised Glenna that I would post this when I am finished.  It took me a long time partly because I had been quite busy with my day job and the only break I had, I went on the Winona copy run.  After staring at this photo for so long, I am seeing woodpecker in it.  Did I missed anything?  Any comments are appreciated.

Shujen

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

Shujen,  Great job, woodpecker and all!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

weewood

Wow, You did a great job, Shujen.  :up:
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Chen, what an incredible job you did, must have taken forever!
Can't help but wonder if the yellowish cast was water damage or already there before?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Thanks for good words.  Hannie, I appreciate you going through the trouble to remove the color cast.  I think most likely the yellow cast was aging.  I do have the personal preference of warmer colors and often left some yellow cast in the finished photos.  I did remove 30% of yellow from the original on this one.  I will try to do more.
Shujen Chen

Hannie

Chen, I find your view on the color of this photo very interesting.  It made me stop and think a lot more about color correction in general.  Now when I look at my version of your restore, although it looks "clean", it also looks a little cold.  In hindsight I think I now prefer your yellow" version better.

I love this forum, always something new to learn!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Shujen, you did a wonderful job on your "scratch monster."  I found that the ones I did all had a yellow cast as well, but intermittent, not uniform.  I'm guessing a lot of it was damage as opposed to an overall aging process.  The only thing I see that you might want to address is the yellow at the very bottom center of the carpet and the fading at the outer edges. My impression is that the background of the carpet is very dark, if not black. Minor picks, when you did such an awesome job.

I think the last Before & After that I posted and this one were the end of the images with yellow scratches.  We can hope!

I'm finding the discussion on warm vs. cool colors quite enlightening.  Some of the colors that have been described as too cool or warm, seem to be the opposite to me.  Do you think there's that much disparity in the colors we're seeing on our monitors?  Do we all need to get Hueys?

Cheers

Glenna

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

The yellow blotches at the bottom of the carpet some how got in there when I cloned them.  While I was looking through the channels in response to Hannie's comment, I found two big areas without blue at all.  I don't know how they happened, but I had them re-cloned.  Thanks for the keen eyes.

There are two opposite ways of describing the warm and cool of the color.  Maybe they are the root of confusions.  When the picture has an orange/yellow cast, it reminds us of the amber glow and evokes a warm feeling.  When it has a blue cast, it resembles the bluish glacial and hence the cold feeling.

Technically, the color hues are defined by the temperature of an incandescent light source.  The cooler the light source, the more yellow orange the photo looks.
Shujen Chen

cmpentecost

Shujen, is that relatively speaking?!!

Chris

schen

Help Tom!  We need a new word of the day.   :funny:
Shujen Chen

klassylady25

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!  That's a word.

mschonher

Hi Schen,

Another beautiful restoration! I can just picture you working for days and days on all the details.  Your perfectionism is showing!  I'm wondering if some purple in the same value as the yellow would neutralize those 2 spots at the bottom.  Just a thought Schen.  If this was my photo I wouldn't mind the spots at all, I'd be thrilled to see those scratches gone.

Mary

Ratz

Shujen, what a beautiful job you've done :up:
I personally like your colour version,it looks a lot like the snapshots I took of my kids when they were young.
I think that the yellowing is just the age of the photo and was probably there before the damage.