• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I can't find his face and other little problems...

Started by Pelican, March 13, 2008, 08:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelican

Where do I start? That was the first thing I thought when I saw this. Anyway,

I've done a lot of experimenting due to the tremendous variations in the damage. Most is all out on its own layer and the file size is approaching 200mb. So with a little input I can start finalizing and merging cuz its really taxing the computer. 

I've run this through every channel of every mode and found nothing to help with anything in the pic. Its hopelessly sad that there isn't a definitive clue as to what his face looks like. I keep thinking that I see a white mustache and the corner of his mouth, but even if I do, then what? I wonder if she has a picture anywhere that would give me some idea as to what he looked like.

Also, there are 4 people on the lawn about 1/3 the way down on the right side. I have them in another doc at 1200 dpi trying to fix them there. I just covered them with grass for now though so I wouldn't always be seeing them.

heres the pics.

This is typical of the damage everywhere in the picture. These are those 4 people on the lawn.

klassylady25

What does one do with this?  I'll be curious to know what our illustrious leaders have to say. 

mschonher

Hi Pelican, I just want to tell you that you are doing a phenomenal job on this incredibly difficult restore. You are a hero for taking on a photo with very little information on the faces. I think I see a big smile on his face when I look at it from a distance, but when I got in close I couldn't make out much at all. As for the people in the background, I can't imagine even trying to restore them. I can't wait to see it finished.....good luck.
Mary

Mhayes

My 2 cents worth is that this picture is too far gone to restore. Pelican you have done a beautiful job on what you could restore! There is the option of restoring what you can and leaving the rest, but it would look strange.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, I couldn't agree with you more.  This is a photo that shouldn't have been accepted in the first place.  Having been one of the people collecting photos in Biloxi, I know how painful it is to turn down someone's "only photo of (fill in the blank)" but I discovered that when I explained to them that there was no way for even the very best restorer to pull something from an unrecognizable blob, they were graciously accepting.  I specifically remember one dear lady who begged that we do a number of photos that were too far gone.  I asked her if she'd be happy to receive something or someone totally different from the original, because even our gurus can't make something of nothing (well, we do have a few that come pretty close, but all that effort could be better spent on truly restorable shots).  She put those photos away.  It hurt like hell to have to say no to anyone, but we have to be realistic so what we did in Biloxi was triage. And even I wasn't able to say no every time. I accepted a few that were iffy.

Pelican man, you did a fine job on an impossible image.  I don't think anyone could ask for more.

Bless

Glenna

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

There's just nothing to be found.  I can make out an eye, the neck, and what I think is a hat... but past that it's all guess work.  I love what you've done so far!! 

Pelican

Believe it or not, this thread is making me feel much better about the picture. I guess that somehow knowing that your not just sitting in front of your monitor alone with somebody's expectations and hopes at your finger tips is breaking the block. I think I can finish this now. I can't give him a discernable face, but I can clean up the mess. Truth is, I have too much dedicated in this to just stop. Its been a sweet challenge.

You folks are great! Thank you!  :)

Curtis

DougB

Hi Pelican,

I may throw a spanner in the works, but I think the person without a face looks like a lady!.  To me it's the legs and arms, and perhaps the stance.

I applaud what you have done so far, but I would refrain from giving a face that has never existed.

I also think, the people who sent the photo will get their memories from what you have done already, as it looks like the little girl is the main subject, but who knows?

Doug.

Pelican

Quote from: DougB on March 14, 2008, 03:31:34 AM
Hi Pelican,

I may throw a spanner in the works, but I think the person without a face looks like a lady!.  To me it's the legs and arms, and perhaps the stance.

I applaud what you have done so far, but I would refrain from giving a face that has never existed.

I also think, the people who sent the photo will get their memories from what you have done already, as it looks like the little girl is the main subject, but who knows?

Doug.
But alas, the face did exist and I didn't say I was going to replace it. I said I was going to clean up the mess. No offense...I understand exactly what you're saying.

Ausimax

Hi Pelican,

You are a hero, I checked this one out in the gallery and decided it needed somebody with more skill and/or imagination than me.

I tend to agree with DougB that it may be a woman, not that that helps much, unless you were going to cut in Tom Hanks head. :funny:

Not a lot more you can do with it, the same as the spectators, not enough info there to replace them.

It always amazes me the quality of restoration on so many of these photos, when the restorer is only working with data they can find in the photo, I wonder how they would turn out with input from the owners as you would get if you were doing this for dough?

Great work on an impossible image, :up2:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tess (Tassie D)

Its either a woman or a man with very shapely legs.  ;) I agree with everyone on the great job you've done.  :up:  Its frustrating to get to this point and have to leave a blob in the middle.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

I think it's definitely a woman with MAYBE a skirt on. Back then I don't think they had cropped pants. I feel SURE a man wouldn't wear them.............except maybe John. :funny:

Maybe a famous lady golfer since she's 'drawn a small crowd' ???
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

laportelj

I also think its a woman (bracelet?) in askirt because you can discern the fabric folds which would rule out pants. Her shirt appears it may have a slightly low cut neckline. Good luck on this one I do know how you feel, Been there LOL.

Jane

laportelj

There appears to be no way to discern the face except to stand back and try to sketch and then try to see if you can find those pickles uh I mean pixels . She looks like the transporter malfunctioned when they tried to beam her up.
(sorry too much coffee)

klassylady25

Lappy, stay away from the caffeine!  LOL  ;D