• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A PC versus a Mac???

Started by mschonher, February 28, 2008, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mschonher

As some of you know I've been having computer troubles ever since I got a new PC loaded with Vista. I have until the 13th of March to make up my mind weather or not I'm going to keep this machine. My question is, what is the difference between a Mac and a PC? Any information or input would be a huge help to me. Is it true a Mac cannot get a virus and will run any program regardless of how old the program is?
Thanks.........Mary

schen

All computers have problems.  Some just have more than the others.  My officemate uses a Mac at home and had all sort of problems with the machine and the technical support.  Virus can attack any computers.  PC may be more vulnerable and with a larger population, it is more of a target for virus creators. 

I would love to use a Mac.  My brief experience with it was very positive.  Unfortunately, many programs I use for work are only available on a PC.  The first thing I would suggest you check out is all the programs you need and want are available on the Mac before you switch over. 

I really hate PC and Windows but am surviving with them and using them for productive work most of the time since its creation.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Tess (Tassie D)

Mary I have used both but keep coming back to a PC. Hubby recently upgraded to a new Vista laptop and I found very few programs that I had problems with. CS2 works perfectly on it and I can honestly say we havent had one trouble with it.
As schen said many applications run only on a PC and if your software was purchased for a PC it wont run on the Mac without a windows emulator.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Thanks Schen and Tassie, I'm still confused about what to do. I got my pc on Saturday and I've had problems every day since. Perhaps it's just a fluke but I don't feel real good about keeping it.  Anyway I've still got a few days left to make up my mind...Mary

cmpentecost

Hi Mary,

I use a PC, and while I've always heard good things about Macs, have never used one.  It would be very hard for me to switch over at this point because 1) all of my software programs are for PC, and 2) while both computers, there are differences, and I think you'd then have to learn a new operation system.

Chris

Tess (Tassie D)

Just out of curiosity Mary, what sort of problems besides CS not working properly?
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

hoodman3

My 2 cents:
I just bought a new Dell computer and because I had so many reservations about MS getting the glitches out of Vista, I got XP Pro. There's a learning curve when you upgrade to any new operating system, and I weighed that against switching to a Mac. For years everybody said Mac was the best for graphics work, but today the differences are less. I've always used Windows.
Getting a new computer is very intrusive and takes many moons to get it all working right.
Another thing to consider is if you share your computer with other users are they willing to make the change, too? I do.
The program availability that John talks about is real for now, but is also improving. It's the one issue that convinced me to go back to MS.
Sorry if this didn't really help.
Good Luck!
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Johnboy

Mary,

Sorry to hear about your PC problems.

I have been a long time Mac user and supporter. I had to learn to use PCs in my former job at least enough to help people get there work to a digital printer. Whether your are on a PC or a Mac really goes back to where you started with computers and what you had do to on the machine. It may been what you could afford at the time since Macs tend to be more pricey. Any more the features of the operating systems are coming closer and closer. Another thing to consider is how techy you may be with a machine. The later point may come down to how willing you are to muck around to find out how things work.

The advise to look at your programs you use is a good one. As we all know software is expensive.

Now for the Mac sales pitch. The new Intel Macs can run the Windows operating system. The new OS 10.5 Leopard has a feature to allow this or you can by separate software such as Parallels (about $80 I think) which will also allow Mac and PC system operation. Some of the added software will allow both systems to run together for easier switching. You do need to install a Windows OS (more expense if you don't own a copy) with all its baggage for viruses, etc. Yes Macs can and a do get viruses but not as much as PCs. I do run virus protection on my machine which is a G4 iMac. It is the one with the round base with the moveable screen attached.

You might check out Macworld.com. This is a web site for a publication by the same name. There are forums on the site which might help. I have a subscription to the magazine, and it is where I currently get all the Mac info.

Good luck in your decision.

Johnboy

glennab

Mary, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I've always used Macs, because they were primarily used for graphics work early on, and my career is in graphic design.  However, I agree with JB that a lot depends on what platform you learned from the beginning, and how willing you are to take a chance on using a computer with which you're unfamiliar.  I'm never comfortable on a PC because I've not used one often.  Our PC folks at work feel the same about Macs.

I really do think that Macs are worth the extra money, because they're much more intuitive, the operating system is truly elegant (I can't speak for Leopard, but my son says it's great, and he's an IT guy).  I've worked on Macs since the '80s, and not once has any of the machines gotten a virus.  They can get cranky, but I think all computers acquire personalities and like to be uppity at times.

Another thing that I love about my relatively new Mac Pro is that it's so simple to open up and add hard drives or RAM.  At work we also have Macs (I use a gorgeous I-Mac), and the only time we have problems is with fonts.  None of our OPR work requires fonts, and I don't use them much at home. I've had absolutely no problems with my computer or software.  I  have a 10-year-old G3 that's still running like a top.  The newer Macs require the new OS, but you can use some of the older software.  However, I'd recommend getting at least CS2, because there's more functionality than the earlier versions.

For any of you who feel strongly one way or the other, Saturday mornings on NPR there's a very funny quiz show, "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," about current events.  Episodes can be downloaded free from I-Tunes.  The one that ran on Feb. 24th contains a hilarious description of Mac owners (I think it's about 30 minutes into the show).  Check it out for a huge chuckle.

Cheers

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Dave

Adding my 2 cents to make your decision even harder. I'm a die hard Mac man. I've converted Angela and she's only worked with PC's her whole life. I try to convert all of my PC loving family members whenever they start thinking about getting a new computer.

At work, because I'm an editor, I'm stuck with a PC. All of our photographers and our image techs have Macs. Whenever I want to work with images, I pull out my new MacBook. It's fast, intuitive, cool and chicks dig it (although you may not care about that part).

I've never had a virus on my Mac. I've never had one invaded by spyware. Straight out of the box it comes with essential programs that I can use immediately without having to deal with third-party pop-ups telling me I should upgrade to the full version.

I've owned 8 Macs in my lifetime and only one PC. In all the times I've upgraded the system software over the years, I only had one glitch that caused me any kind of significant problem.

This sounds corny, but I believe that PC's are made for the masses and Macs are made for people.

If that pitch won't make Steve Jobs shell out some money and support OPR, I don't know what will.

In the end though, I agree with what others have said. It all comes down to personal preferences. Computers are the same as cameras. There Mac people and there are PC people. Just like there are Nikon people and Canon people.

Dave

Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

schen

Quote from: OPRDave on February 28, 2008, 10:40:04 PM

In the end though, I agree with what others have said. It all comes down to personal preferences. Computers are the same as cameras. There Mac people and there are PC people. Just like there are Nikon people and Canon people.

I beg to differ.  I am a Nikon man but I like Canon and buy Canon cameras.  I started with a Mac and unfortunately was forced to use PC for the rest of my life, I will never compare a Mac to a PC.   :mad:
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

klassylady25

I run a PC now.  When working for the Oklahoman, I ran a Mac.  Mac is a workhorse.  That was it's design.  PC is for the general populous.  There is a slight learning curve when you transition, but I have a feeling that you'll do just fine if that is your choice.  

Candice

Dave

Schen,

You need to hang around a group of newspaper photographers. The battle lines are drawn between Canon and Nikon.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Dave

Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Dave

Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]