• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The OPR Gallery is now open!

Started by John, February 18, 2008, 01:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

John, the galleries are awesome.  I can't wait to see what everyone posts.  I'll bore you with a few of mine when I can.

You're the best!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

John,

You are the greatest.   :wnw:
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

John

UPDATE:  Thanks to Christine for allowing us to upgrade to the paid version of the gallery software.  You'll notice that there are a few more bells & whistles that really enhance the gallery experience, e.g. previous/next links.  In addition I increased the maximum size of uploadable images back up to 800px on the longest side.  Do you guys want it to be more?  Now the gallery images will appear as 600px when viewed, but if you hover over them and click, they will enlarge like they do in the main forum.  What resolution do you guys want for max viewing?  Let me know.  You can also give each picture a star rating, so have at it!

And as always, let me know if something is not working as it should.

John

Tess (Tassie D)

What a great gallery. Well done John. :up:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Atlantis

Quote from: John on February 19, 2008, 12:01:16 AM
In addition I increased the maximum size of uploadable images back up to 800px on the longest side.  Do you guys want it to be more?  Now the gallery images will appear as 600px when viewed, but if you hover over them and click, they will enlarge like they do in the main forum.  What resolution do you guys want for max viewing? 

At 600px the enlarging does not show, which makes sense. Would it be possible to replace an uploaded B&A with a larger one to benefit of the zoomfeature and be able to get a closer look at details?
Also for monitor/screen a resolution of 72 is enough, anything more doesn't show anyway (as I always learned).
I think you would like to know max. width and height in pixels. That depends on the size most viewers use. I think there will not be that many people active on the internet using a 800x600 screen anymore. I think 1024 width is quite common these days. But I could be wrong.
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

schen

We are missing the picture of the historic moment of Dave eating that white thingy in the gallery.   :mad:
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

John

Quote from: Atlantis on February 19, 2008, 04:31:03 AM
Quote from: John on February 19, 2008, 12:01:16 AM
In addition I increased the maximum size of uploadable images back up to 800px on the longest side.  Do you guys want it to be more?  Now the gallery images will appear as 600px when viewed, but if you hover over them and click, they will enlarge like they do in the main forum.  What resolution do you guys want for max viewing? 

At 600px the enlarging does not show, which makes sense. Would it be possible to replace an uploaded B&A with a larger one to benefit of the zoomfeature and be able to get a closer look at details?
Also for monitor/screen a resolution of 72 is enough, anything more doesn't show anyway (as I always learned).
I think you would like to know max. width and height in pixels. That depends on the size most viewers use. I think there will not be that many people active on the internet using a 800x600 screen anymore. I think 1024 width is quite common these days. But I could be wrong.

Well, I think we'd be asking a lot to make everyone re-upload and re-comment on their pictures, so I'm of the opinion to leave things as is and allow for a somewhat larger upload on a go forward basis.  I'm on a 1680x1050 resolution and the 600px max images are more than viewable for me.   Not only does the gallery allow to upsize the images, it also downsizes them too, so even if we go to the higher size limit, they should be viewable to everyone within their screen.  And this gallery is intended as a general showcase anyway so I think the limited size shouldn't be an issue from a pixel peeping perspective.

If the consensus is to start from scratch, we can certainly do that, but I think we'd be creating more work for ourselves in my opinion.  I'd like it to meet everyone's needs within reason.

What do you think?

John

Check out the test image of the grasses that I uploaded in the OPR Around the World gallery.  Original size was 3008x2000 (6Mp) and the gallery is resizing it to 600 for basic viewing and then up to 1200px when clicked in the middle, and then full size when you click on the little picture icon that appears in the lower right corner. 

Ausimax

Hi John,

Thanks for the changes, makes the site much more user friendly. ;D

I also like the idea of being able to post larger size photos, at low resolution much of the subtle damage that takes so much hard work to repair doesn't show up, and this is a "Skite Site" after all. :funny:

How do larger images impact on your site regarding storage space? I see that as being the limiting factor plus bandwidth usage.

You have made some great changes to this site that enhance the OPR experience, keep up the good work and I'll keep trying to catch up with all the features. :up:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi John

Absolutely love the galleries. Seeing others' restorations, many of which weren't posted on the forum, makes me realize what an awesome talented group this is.

And the "where you live" gallery is going to be lots of fun if we get participants from all over the world.  Interestingly, my company is always looking for good shots of Tampa and St. Petersburg, and Black Slate posted a great night shot of the Tampa Skyline.  We'll be in touch with him (her?) for sure!

You make the forum better and better.  Thanks for all your hard work!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

mschonher

Can someone out there please tell me the best way to go about placing the before and after into one document?  Do you re size the photograph before or after you make it into one?  Thanks, and it's great to know that I'll get the help I need right here on the forum.
Mary :-\

Ausimax

Mary,

If you are using Photoshop, what I do is open one image and go to Image/Canvas Size resize the canvas to double its present size in one direction, sideways or up and down depending how you want to orient your photos.

Then open the second image and drag it onto the enlarged canvas, once you have it aligned just resize the combined image to the dimensions you want.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

mschonher

Max, thanks very much for the information. So you don't resize the photos first? I was doing it another way and this is so much easier....Thanks again........Mary

Patre

Thanks John, for implementing this great idea.

John

Quote from: Patre on February 20, 2008, 09:17:00 PM
Thanks John, for implementing this great idea.

Well, it was a long time coming, but I hope it was worth the wait.  It should serve as a showcase for all of the great work that our volunteers do and perhaps inspire a bit as well.