• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need someone to look at this.

Started by Pelican, February 10, 2008, 04:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelican

I'm having some trouble figuring out what else is in this picture. I have determined that there is a lamp next to him. There is chair next to his hand. He's holding some flowers. There just isn't enough detail though to really pull them all out.

Thanks,
Curtis

Before

So far..

cmpentecost

Hi Curtis,

Welcome to the OPR forums!  Whew....this is tough one.  I downloaded it and looked at all of the channels, from RGB to LAB to CMYK and nothing at all came thru as being visible/useful information.  It will be interesting what the others have to say!

I know you are far from done, but I'd guess his shirt/vest are white, and using a mask or selection and hue/saturation, you could bring back the white.  Also, I'm not so sure about the part in his hair.  I'm wondering if he might have more of a curly head of hair with no part line.

Considering where you've started, you've made a fabulous start!  I'll look forward to seeing your progress on this!

Christine

Hannie

Hi Curtis, welcome to the forum!  Great job you did, it is coming along really well.  I think you got about all there is to find on detail in this photo.  It is just a matter of cleaning up some more and maybe a little levels/color adjustment.  The photo probably wasn't too good to start with so there is only so much you can do at this stage.
Well done!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pelican

Hi Christine, Hi Hannie,

Yeah, I'm not to sure about the hair either. There was so much junk in it that it was hard to tell. By the time I got it out of there, you couldn't tell it was hair at all. I'll work that some more as well as some of the other adjustments.

schen

Welcome to OPR.

A natural light portrait!  I love it.  It reminds me of the dinner scenes in Stanley Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" when natural light photography was first used in movie.

The photo may be darkened and yellowed from aging and damage but I believe the original was not bright and has a warm hue from the incandescent light source coming mostly from the right hand side of this handsome guy. 

There could have been one or two spot lights on the wall above the lamps.

You are doing well cleaning it.  I would suggest that you blur the background a little bit.  The contrast of the brightnesses of the wall seemed disappeared going toward the ceiling.  As the lower left corner of the photo, I would leave it blur.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi Curtis, welcome to the forum.

Great job on the pic so far. :up: I see the hair more along these lines (very rough sketch).

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pelican

Thanks Tassie. Now that you draw it out, thats similar to what I thought I saw. For now I just took the part out but I'm gonna give the hair another go.

Thats what I thought too schen. It looked more like it already had a tungsten glow to it.

This pic is frustrating in that is has mystery pixels. You start trying to make an adjustment  and as one part of the area you're working on starts doing what you want, another starts to saturate with blue or yellow.

I got a little color into his face but then the shaded side starts to turn blue.

Is the shirt and vest too loud? Anything less than that has yellow splotches all over it.

I blurred the background a little and the corner a lot. Its all on separate layers so I can change it.

glennab

Hi Curtis, and a huge welcome to the forum.

You're either brave, foolhardy or really good at restorations to have picked this guy.  I've been playing around with the image's channels, and when I converted to CMYK, used Calculations and only mixed the cyan and black, I was able to come up with interesting detail depending on the blending mode.  In some instances more detail showed on the darker side, and in others more appeared out of the blown out area.  I combined them and made a couple of mixed channels, copied them in as layers, and then got stumped.

However, that said, I think if you have any expertise in blending modes you might be able to get your information in a similar manner.  The yellow and magenta channels offer very little information, so I'd hesitate to even use them separately. But I suspect that blending the original, the blue and black calculations channels in several configurations and blending the channels as layers, you might get more detail.  Channel mixer with only the cyan and black might be worth a try as well.

I hope I haven't totally confused you, but I keep looking at the information in the combined channels and going Hmmmmmmmm...

Anyway, give it a try.  Can't hurt.

Cheers,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Curtis,

You are making great progress!

Yes, I agree the shirt and vest are too bright and too white.  A tungsten orange glow on them might look better.

As for the mysterious pixels, I use two methods to tackle them:

1. make a copy of the image layer; pick an area and make adjust only for that area; use mask to merge only the area you picked; repeat for other areas.

2. While in RGB mode, select Blue Channel; click the eye of RGB to make all three channels visible (but only blue is selected); use about 5% dodge/burn tools to adjust the color, the color will go between yellow-orange to pink-blue.

If these are confusing, let me know and I will explain them in more details.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Ausimax

Hi Curtis,

Hard to find detail in the damaged area - I agree with Shujen about the colour, the shirt is much too bright in your last post,and it is obviously a natural light photo, go with the tungsten glow.

I tried it in all colour modes trying to bring out detail, this is Multichannel, Alpha channel inverted and adjusted with levels.

Could those two bright spots to the right (our left) of the lamp be candles? I kept finding the hint of lights with a seemingly solid stem below in other mode/channels but this seems to give them actual substance.

Doesn't seem to help with much else though. :-\

Have fun,

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tess (Tassie D)

Nice pick up Max. They sure look like candles.
I think the piece that is in front of the lower part of his jacket appears to be a gladiolus and carnation flower arrangement? Maybe on top of a piano or something as schen said it looks like a restaurant setting.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pelican

Yeah, but candles just didn't make sense to me. There is too much light being cast on his face for that. What I see is on the left light pillar (we'll call it), there are horizontal lines as if it were a light shining through a taffeta shade and on the right one a distinct hard line the shape of a shade as if that light source was coming from behind.

You have all been very helpful. What a great welcome!

Those are definitely mums and glads in his hand and whatever his hand is resting on, there appears to be a lamp there and a chair . The details are so sketchy though.

Here he is with the shirt and vest only brightened a little, a few more skin tones and a new hairdo

Ratz

Welcome curtis,I'd like to throw my hat in the ring, for what it's worth :)
What I see is a mirror behind the lamp,with the reflection of the lamp and the reflection of some kind of wall light from the opposite wall.
I could be totally wrong about that, but my 2 cents.
Regards Vicki.

Pelican

I considered the mirror idea too..... :-\

klassylady25

Pelican, some things never come to light   :funny:  but you're coming along well.  I'm a Mum and I would know! 

Ok, bad puns! 

Welcome to the nut house   :)

Candice