• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What do you see here?

Started by Susan F., January 31, 2008, 12:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan F.

Hello everyone!  I'm not sure that this photo would be considered 'moderate' for repair, because there was really no problem with faces, but, I put it here because there is more damage than in the example for the 'easy' forum section.

I hope that someone can give me an idea of what numbers 1,2, and 3 are in the attached picture (I'm attaching the before and my current WIP).  I think that #1 is either the back of a woman's head or a flower centerpiece because I can't make out that there is a body attached to it, #2 a purse or white scratches, and pretty positive #3 is the back of a metal folding chair.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Uhoh... can't figure out how to attach the photos...

glennab

Hi Sue

If you look to the left beneath the PhotoShelter box, there are links to photo hosting sites from which you can post your images.  I use Photobucket, but I'm sure the others are as user-friendly.  They'll walk you through setting up an account and establishing your "album."  If you copy the very last http address below the image you've uploaded (there'll be 3 or 4) and paste it into your post, it should show up on the forum.  You'll only see the address in your message until you post it. I hope this helps.

Bless,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Susan F.

You're a real GEM glenna!!  Thank you!!

Here's what I've come up with as a solution.  Since I couldn't figure out what/who was at the table, I just super-imposed a folding chair (from my own photos) and then tried to paint in a table cloth.  The lady in yellow, her hand was way too elongated in the original, which made me think that she wasn't holding anything at all.  Anyway, any opinions/directions are very welcomed.

Hannie

Hi Sue,

You have done a beautiful job cleaning up he damage in this photo, well done!
My suggestion for the numbers 1, 2 and 3 would be not to replace them with the chair and tablecloth but to clean them up as much as you can.  The photo is a bit blurry to start with so it doesn't hurt to use a little blur in that area?

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Susan F.

Thank you Hannie, I like that idea  :up:!  Can't get back to it today, but, hopefully tomorrow.  Thanks again, I really needed some direction! ;)

truckersau

Hi Sue,
Just taking a quick look at your photos,
1 /   ?????????   sorry
2 /  looks to me like it could be the lady's handbag.
3 /  the back of a folding chair, like the one in the foreground.
Sorry I could not be any more help then that.

Mhayes

Hi Sue,

Great job on the cleanup! This is only my guess but maybe #1 is her hat (or a Jello mold  ;D) , since two of the other ladies are wearing hats.  #2 looks like a handbag, which would make me wonder if the water damage has created a gosted imagine of it. #3 looks like a folding chair.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

I think they are handbags (purses).  I remember my grandmother having a purse where the handles stood straight up.  So, I'd say #3 is the chair and #2 is the handbag.  I haven't a clue what #1 is.  Hope this helps!

Christine

daveP

I think
1 is the back of head (blond hair) - or possibly a cabbage in a brown paper bag :)
2 Gift Bag(s)
3. Folding Chair

klassylady25

After playing with this, I take some of this back.  There are actually 2 bags. Probably one of them belongs to the gal whose picture is being taken.  The other one belongs to the lady with a hat (which is not an angel food cake :o)  There is even some knitting needles in this picture.  Can you find them?  :o)

I didn't go any further with the picture, but just had to see what really was there.  The larger post helped so much.  It's all coming together. 

:hug:
Candy

schen

#1 knitted hat the woman with yellow dress is holding in her hand
#2 gift bag (it appeared identical to the one behind.  Ladies don't carry identical handbags.)
#3 chair back of a folding chair
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Susan F.

Thank you everyone for your input.  I got an ear-to-ear smile with Dave's observation of a cabbage in a brown paper bag because, honestly, my first impression was either the back of a woman's head or a head of cabbage, but didn't admit to it. ;)

Here's what I ended up settling for, I replaced the purse and chair, but instead of trying to create the foods on the tabletop, I chose to extend the dress on the woman in the background (paisley dress) and then blur the entire background since the object of the photo, in my opinion, is the elderly couple in the foreground.  I hope that this is acceptable, I don't want to get kicked out of here, I want to be a 'super hero' like so many of you!  :wnw:

Here's the finished image

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

klassylady25

Upgraded my thoughts - see previous post above.

schen

Because this is a close range flash photo, I have two observations:
1. the man's fly is left over right and with close flash, there would have no shadow at all.

2. the close range flash photos have very small aperture (or large aperture number).  The depth of field is long.  I would suggest not over blur the background.

It was an out-of-focus picture.  I would not worry much about what was in the background precisely.  How about taking Candy's background and put the two main characters over it.

The guy who put the pink tutu on Dave is still around.  I wouldn't worry about getting kick out of here  :funny:
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6