• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

MosesT_A6_21_3 copy

Started by klassylady25, January 13, 2008, 09:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klassylady25

Marg, I think that this picture is as good as it gets.  There's just so much missing that it can't be replaced with confindence.  Ok, let me put it this way, I could replace an overall, but is that something that you want?  Otherwise I've cleaned it up a bit and brought out the faces of the men.  I could be cropped but I know you'd prefer not to have that done and frankly a vignette would look dumb with this picture.  :o)  So there you have it.  If you can think of something let me know.

Mhayes

Candy, I think you are probably right about it being as good as it is going to get. This one and I think another of the MosesT you worked on were ones that we told the owner that there wasn't much we could do with the photo. She said that anything that we could bring back would be great. It was her father and one of the few pictures she had left. I tried to do a quick and dirty on the really dirty to see what could be pieced together. Because this picture is small; I didn't think I wanted to crop it down further, so what I did was crop out the portion that was totally gone. I then took what was left and put in on another 3.5 x 5 with a white background. This may be a huge No-No and Chris will need to weigh in on. I agree about the vignette not looking right. The really hard part is what to do with the guy on your right. I had thought about a black gradient fading out on that side, but that would make it look like his head floating in the air. I decided to leave the open damage area to show that there was no way to restore it.

Thanks for picking the hard ones.

PS You can't really tell, but it's in the middle of the white background.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Candy,

What a challenge you took on with  this one.  You are right, there really isn't much more you can do to improve it without losing the true feeling of this photo. 
I think the daughter will be very happy with anything you cleaned up. 
When I get a photo like that I sometimes fade the out the remaining damage and maybe give it some of the surrounding color, seems to make it stand out less.

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

Hannie, I may try that and if cropping is all right I may try that but here is the link to the full size: 
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2255/2192102119_5eaa5af0cc_o.jpg  I'm glad that you told the family what there wasn't much that could be done.  I'll go back to playing with it.  In the meantime -
have fun!   :D

Luv ya
Candy