• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Guidelines

Started by Mhayes, December 19, 2007, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

You guys are doing an incredible job on your finished pictures and also the quantity of pictures that you are returning. A few of us are forgetting some of the guidelines that are listed in OPR's FAQ>Restoration Guidelines

The image is sized and cropped.  Basic color corrections are great, but don't worry too much as we will put the final correction on them to calibrate to the printers.  Please do not crop, size or change the filename other than adding something at the beginning or end to mark it as being restored (an r, your initials, something along those lines). 

Do not add what was never there. Adding an interesting background may make for a better photo, but it does not serve our purpose.  We've also found that while adding a gradient background can look good at times, placing items on a new gradient background can make the textures look too different.

Concerning the first, I'm having a problem uploading pictures back to my gallery that no longer carries the file size in their extension. I can tell that if it has been changed because of the new extension with your name minus the file size. Please let me know if there is a reason why you need to crop, other than it's convenient. Because I have no idea what size the photo is now, I am forced to download the picture to my computer to check the size.  For an example, if you have a picture that was 8x10; it is better to leave it at that size than cropping it to a 7.973 x 9.92.

I am totally impressed with the talent displayed on some really difficult pictures. There are pictures that really do not have much if any background to work with. On those, I've have no problem with how the background is blended out. However, lately I'm seeing a trend to get creative and change the photo to something it's not. If a photo was not hand tinted in the beginning, please do not make it one now. It may look nice, but there is a huge risk that you are changing a black and white to colors that never existed.

Okay, I will now get off my soapbox.  :police:

Merry Christmas!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

klassylady25

Problem with any uploads on my part?  Please email me.  Thanks

klassylady25

I'm working out of three galleries. Suggestions on how you want picture posted in small space.  I always leave the first of the name   but not the size.... Marg HummelN_B2_18_8x10adj. BUT most of the end will not fit.... so it's shortened to where it does.  Are you having a problem with that method?

Mhayes

I guess I am confused about what you mean about posting in small space? I've not had this problem before of anyone not able to save with a few additional characters added to the extension. I could see where working out of three galleries might be confusing. It's usually best to finish pictures out of one before going on to another gallery. However, when you upload your picture it will be go to the right gallery because of the file extension. It would be nice to still retain the original dimensions on the extension, unless there is a reason for the sizing to change.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

Margie, I THINK by small space Candice is referring to the 'comment' box on the upload page.

An example of cropping and keeping the correct image size:

http://upload.pbase.com/image/90571233
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

klassylady25

Yes, Kiska.  The 'brief discription' is very small and the extentions can be long, but I always indicate whose gallery the picture comes from.  So, that being said, maybe I need a refresher course.  I know what Marge/Jan/Chris sees is the extention, but what I don't know is this: I try to make it easier to weed out who the picture belongs to, do I need to do this?   :-\  Because girls if you know by looking at it who the picture belongs to, I won't specify the gallery it came from.  Let me know. 

Old Lady in Oklahoma
:cool: 

cmpentecost

In the "Brief Description", just put the name of who the photo should go back to.  No need to put the photo name.  When you save your restored photo for upload, keep the original name and size dimension on the photo (unless it needed to be cropped, and then change the size dimension to the new size). 

It is very easy for Jan, Margie and I to see the uploaded photos and figure out what is what.  Basically, if it has my name on it, then I know it's my photo and I handle it accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Chris

klassylady25

You were posting as I was posting Chris!!!  I just love ya girl   :loveit:  Now I've got it.

jneil2

That's right, Chris.  Just put our name on it, and we will get it.  That is all I look for when I am checking..

Jan