• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

PC acting up

Started by Hannie, December 13, 2007, 05:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Hi Margie,

I can't use my computer at the moment.  Whenever I try to open a program I end up with a completely empty blue desktop... :mad:

I was still working on the 2 Darden boys and will get back to them as soon as I got everything working again. It might take a little longer than usual to finish them this time.

Unfortunately I made the last image of my C drive too long ago so a restore is going to be a pain in the butt (excuse the lingo).  That would mean having to reinstall a lot of programs, filters etc. so I am going to try to find the cause before I'll use that image.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Hannie,

Sorry I'm slow in answering--our satellite was down this morning.  >:( Isn't modern technology wonderful when it works? Have you tried to doing a "cold boot' (as opposed to a refresh shut down)? What a bummer!

That is fine about the Darden pictures. Good Luck!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Charlene5

Hannie I've always found it helpful to threaten the offending computer with a hammer.  Be sure to hold it up to the monitor so it can get a good look at it  :funny:

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Tess (Tassie D)

Hannie have you put any new programs, updates etc on it recently? Tried a system restore?
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Oh Hannie, where are you? Are you floating out in cyberspace somewhere or did your computer end up in a repair shop?   :'(  Worse yet, did you take MJ's advice and take a hammer to the offending PC? 

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Charlene5

Hannie must be in her closet writing on her slate?
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Hannie

:funny:

How did you know that MJ?  Can a girl not have any privacy around here!

Hi guys and girls, and yes Margie, I did take a hammer to my computer!  I am now using a friends computer so unfortunately I do not have enough time to read all the new messages yet.  I also haven't been able to work on my latest project but will again very soon. 
Tess, I did try restore points and such but something is interfering with the use of any program or tool, even the DVD drive will not act normal.  Never seen anything like it, ah well that's what you get for looking at the naughty sites....Just kidding folks!!!  On top of all the PC problems hubby is going through a rough spot and that is taking a lot of my energy to cope with it all.  (do you hear the violins in the background?). 
I wish I could have all of you guys over here for a drink (coffee's fine too) or so right now, I think it would be so much fun!
Well it looks like I will be back on the air in another couple of days, until then I wish you all a Merry, Happy and Healthy Christmas!  Can't wait to get back to the forum!

:hug:
Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, it's great to hear from you. After the mad rush of Christmas shopping today, a drink sounds good--the coffee can come later.  Hope you have a Merry Christmas too and things get better at home.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Sounds like you're not having a great time over there Hannie. Hope the comp is back soon and you can get back in here. I thought my modem was dying so I have a new one sitting here ready to go. The old one is behaving itself now.
Can you imagine us lot getting together for a drink? It would be a laugh thats for sure.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hannie,

You may have already tried this, if not its worth a shot, when mine was playing up recently I wound it back with a drive image I had made nearly two years before, that did no good, I kept having trouble until it finally stopped working all together.

I was in the process of ordering a new PC, when I decided to have one last try at fixing it, I removed all the memory modules and expansion cards and reseated them - checked all internal cables by unplugging and reseting, switched on the power and fired up. Hey Presto, better than a bought one, and and about $500.00 cheaper.

May not help in your case, but I can't think of anything else to suggest.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

jneil2

Oh Hannie, I feel your pain!  Wish we could all get together in person and put that hammer to your computer.  We should take it as a wake-up call to BACK UP.  I dust-busted the back of my computer yesterday morning, and I am sure it bought a few more months of life for my system.

Tomorrow I will BACK UP. 

Jan

Hannie

Hi!

Computer is back on and working, Photoshop + plug ins back where they should be!  Hubby still feeling depressed , any suggestions as to how to get him out of it are welcome.  (keep it decent though...)

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!  In Holland you have 2 Christmas days which means 2 Christmas dinners as well, have to go on a diet now.  I made the most delicious turkey pin wheels with sage stuffing served in a wonderful  mushroom sauce.  (made with mirepoix!).  Never knew I could cook so well! :cool:

I have to get working on my project now so no more time for chit chat...

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Quote(keep it decent though...)

Why, oh why?
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Quote from: kiska on December 27, 2007, 08:39:38 AM
Quote(keep it decent though...)

Why, oh why?

The Hannah speaking I assume?  ;D
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Hannie

I've tied my hands behind my back to keep from posting this, but I've lost control in the madness of the holidays, so here goes – "You shoulda got a MAC!"  They're like the energizer bunny -- they keep going and going and going!  My G3, which I bought in 1998 is still purring along in the office as my back-up and data base, and all I've ever done to it is add memory and extra hard drive space.  Any machine that can continue to function under 12 cats' worth of fur, barf and debris is a gem in my book.

I've looked high and low for it and can't find it in our mess of a house, but I have a great pen-and-ink drawing  that I picked up at a renaissance fair a long time ago.  It's a dragon standing in front of a computer holding a monstrous sledge hammer over the keyboard.  The monitor says "strike any key."  Familiar feeling???

I'm so sorry your hubby is going through a rough time.  Especially tough during the holidays.  I won't go into any details, but I only know one way to drag a spouse of the male persuasion out of the dumps.  I hate to be a female chauvinist pig, but they ARE all alike. It ain't food and it ain't drugs or alcohol, so you know what I'm talking about.  And don't any of you get uppity on me.  I'm old – not dead!  (All I can hear in my head are the grandkids hollering "GRANDMA!!!!!")

I'm all for an OPR coffee gathering.  We need to find the transporter that's hidden with the FWW software and the poofer!

Hugs and best wishes for the new year.  It's gonna be a good one!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)