• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Sky is Falling!

Started by Mhayes, December 10, 2007, 06:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Just wanted to get everyone's attention by being a little dramatic! What is really happening here in Kansas is that we are about to get slammed with an ice storm. At the present a light rain is falling with temps dropping below freezing. They are forecasting an accumulation of 1 in of ice, which makes for falling power lines and trees. I may or may not be able to answer request for pictures out of my gallery. There will of course be those who think this a ploy to get some down time.  ;D

Chicken Little
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Hi Margie,

I was wondering if you were getting hit with the bad weather and ice storm.  I hope the storm isn't too bad, but is it possible to "not" have a bad ice storm?  If you're without electricity Margie, just send me an email, and I'll release your photos for you.   :funny:  (just kidding, although I will release photos for you if you end up in a bind w/o power).

It's snowing here today and creating what I think is going to be a great ski season!

Chris

schen

Margie, it is coming my way and the forecast says will be here by 2 AM and stay with us for the rest of the day before the rain turns into snow.  Snow over ice!

Another Chicken Little
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Tess (Tassie D)

Wow I hope there's no damage. Any snow or ice photos would be greatly appreciated by us sweltering aussies. :)
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Tassie,

That was the easiest request.  We have plenty of snow here:

Shujen Chen

Ausimax

Great photos Schen, few of us in Australia will have ever seen snow like that, I know I haven't.

Anyone for breakfast on the patio? :cool:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Wow -- so that's what snow looks like.  OOOH, it's so pretty!

We're running our air conditioners at 9pm, and it's sunny and in the high 70s and low 80s every day.  It's one of the reasons Floridians are so smug in the wintertime, and also why we're eyebrow-deep in tourists!  I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, crowds and all.

I'll be obnoxious about our weather until April, when the ACs go BACK on and don't go off again until next Nov. or Dec. as we expire from the heat and humidity, then you can smug me right back!

I hope you northerners don't get too slammed by the ice.  I've seen photos of the damage it can cause.  Stay safe and warm.

Hugs from me and my guardian angel, whom I'm sending north to watch over all of you Chicken Littles!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Charlene5

Oh Schen it's beautiful - for about two seconds I thought wistfully about living back east and then came to my senses :)  I was born in Buffalo but don't tell anyone.  We barbeque Yankees around here and serve 'em up with a nice spicy barbeque sauce.  I lived there my first seven years in Buffalo.  One of my earliest memories (I think it's about age 2) is being bundled in a snow suit, boots, mittens, muffler and cap and stepping out onto the high stoop outside the back door.  I stepped right on a nice patch of ice and slid into a deep pile of snow that had blown up against the wall.  I remember screaming and screaming while my brother laughed hysterically.  Brothers are so helpful.  He also laughed the time I fell in the toilet but that's another story.

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

schen

Around here, there is a disease called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).  Some people burrow themselves indoors in winter until they get mental depression.  The stores even sell expensive Light Therapy Lamps.  They are just bright lamps but come with a fancy name and big price tag to be effective.  ;D 

My preventive measure is cross-country skiing.  I used to work by a forest and a golf course and I stepped out at lunch time to get some exercise and sun light.  Unfortunately, since the 90's, the snow fall has decreased significantly.  The total snow fall during the 90's was only half of the total snow fall during the 80's around this area.  We still get over six inch snow some times but not as often as before.
Shujen Chen

Tess (Tassie D)

Those photos are absolutely breath taking. I adore the snow though I imagine if I lived in it all the time I'd get sick of it. I love the silence it creates, it seems to muffle sound quite a bit and it looks so clean and surreal.

Aren't brothers just wonderful MJ!  ::) You fell in a toilet? Now thats a story I'd like to hear.  ;D

Breakfast on the patio would be a snowball fight if mine looked like that Max. >:D
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Fortunately for Montana, we still get a lot of snow.  My husband and I went yesterday up a forest access road to cut our Christmas tree, for a $5 permit.  We saw families out with their kids, sleds and dogs, all going to cut a tree.  So far, we are off to a really great start for skiing here.  While I've not been out on the skis yet, we are planning to do so on Thursday.  Although a Wisconsin native, I lived in FL for 14 years and loved the mild winters.  However, nothing beats a beautiful day out skiing in the fresh powder and crystal clear blue skies, without another person or sound anywhere around.   :up:

Christine 

schen

The nice thing about this area is that by the time I am getting sick of the snow, the spring arrives.  And April showers bring May flowers.  :loveit:

Shujen Chen

Mhayes

The Hen House is now up and running! For now, it looks like we have dodged the bullet. Fifty miles to the west in Hutchinson, they are dealing with massive ice damage and around 11,000 without power. Further south towards Oklahoma, the damage is even more severe. We have ice on the trees, but for now all we are getting is a gentle rain. There is still the chance that it will turn back to freezing rain--so not entirely in the clear. I think what kept us in rain was the request by Tess for some pictures of the ice storm.  :)

Schen, your pictures are beautiful. The storm is headed your way; hope you do not get the ice.

Chicken Little
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Amazing photos Chen, thanks for sharing!
We used to get snow here every winter but now it hardly ever snows any more.  We had a bit of it last winter in February and that was it. 

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

hoodman3

As a southerner living in New York, SNOW is a four letter word. Another southerner, Jesse Winchester wrote a song about snow. "You know what they say about snow flakes...there ain't no two the same....well all them flakes look alike to me...and everyone's a dirty shame".
Hope everybody is doing OK. Snow is tricky if you're not used to it.
Pete
Windows XP, CS3