• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

More photos in my gallery

Started by jneil2, November 17, 2007, 06:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jneil2

Tess (Tassie D)

I just discovered one nearly the same as the one I just finished and it has more details.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

I looked at the newer ones in the gallery and a family had 59 photos.  I estimated that it will take at least a week or more to restore all of them at the rate we are going.  Some of them have the same subject and the same pose.  I don't know how many more pictures are still waiting in the queue to be processed and posted.  If we keep doing it this way, I am afraid some of the families that showed up on the third day may have to wait for years before their photos are restored.  Should we set a limit of the number of photos from each family for the first pass?  After we go through them, we then go back to work on the leftover ones.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

Chen, 59 may seem a lot when you look at it from you point of view but it is nothing when you consider that those 59 photos are all the family has left.  I think it will take a long time to get through the lot of the pictures but not years. 
From what I understand the restored photos are only sent back to the family when they are all done.  Often that takes much longer than you might think. Sometimes there is just that one almost unsalvageble photo left in the gallery for a long time.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

I am not advocating not restore all the 59 photos.  My suggestion is that we do several of them first and restore the rest when we are finished with all other families each with a limited number of photos.  When the first batch is finished, they will be sent with a note that there are more to come later.  If we waited too long to send the photos back, those families might have moved.

I am guessing that it would take years from the rate they disappeared from the gallery.  Those with the hard numbers (and the power) should make the decision.
Shujen Chen

Dave

What you are seeing is the outcome of trying to do too much. When OPR first started, Becky and I were accepting only 5 images from each family. It was hard to turn people away when they had so many more images that we could fix.

During our recent trip to Biloxi, I made the decision to take the limits off. I learned that it wasn't necessarily a good thing as we started taking in very large orders from individual families. So much so, that our on-site copying process was bogged down almost immediately.

Like everything with OPR, it's a learning process. During any future copy-runs, stricter limits will most likely be imposed.

For now, we need to stick to what works best. In this case, that means the order doesn't go out until it's entirely completed.

We have a lot of images currently waiting to be printed. So the large orders shouldn't do much to slow the smaller orders from being completed. During the in-processing of all of these images, we made sure to let our clients know that it may take considerable time before they see the results.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

schen

Thanks Dave for the explanations.  It must have been very difficult to impose a limit on the number of photos from each family knowing that many of them we turned away were the little cherished memory remained in their possession.  On the other side, I saw recently a family with 59 photos and three of them look almost identical.

My concern is the length of time it would take to finish the ones at the end of the queue.  By the time we are done, will we be able to return the restored photos to them.  I also don't want you to do more work and ended up slowing down the process.  So I will respect your decision and go back to work on my restorations.
Shujen Chen

cmpentecost

We have several "orders" over 59 photos.  I have one from the first day of 170 photos.  HOWEVER, they are all wedding photos and multiple photos of very similar poses.  I plan to go thru this batch and weed them down, so we don't have you all doing restorations on duplicate photos. 

On the last day of our photo collection, we really had to impose our limits on the number of photos we could take.  People would bring in large boxes of photos, and then have to choose a small number.  The hardest was when a man came in on the last day, and as he opened his box of photos, he broke down crying.  Then, he had to go thru his box and pick what he wanted us to do.

Christine

OPRAng

I don't know how you guys on the copy runs do it. I am such a sucker that if someone were to cry hard in front of me, I would not only take in all their photos, I would probably give them my car too. And that is just one of the reasons why you won't see me on a copy run any time soon...
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Mhayes

Angela, I think you would be great on a copy run! Only thing is, we would have to keep your car keys in a safe spot.  ;D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]