• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Spotted photos

Started by cmpentecost, October 22, 2007, 05:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmpentecost

Since the spotted photos seem to be rather common in this Biloxi batch, I just noticed in Ctein's book Digital Restoration from Start to Finish, on page 373, he covered a faded photo that has lots of spots.  He goes thru a rather complex process of using channels and curves to eliminate the dots, but, his method works.  I don't have time right now to really go thru it all in detail, but will take a further look and see if I can post something.  Likewise, if anyone else out there has a book, take a look at it and if you try it, post your results for us to see!

Christine

Hannie

Looks like an interesting book.  On amazon you can flip through the book to get an impression. 
I don't deserve it to buy another book, hardly touched the Katrin Eismann book, never touched the Ben Willmore book and there already is another one on the way (Drawing the Head & Figure by Jack Hamm).  I need more time...
Hope someone will have time and energy to post about this method you mentioned Chris!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

If someone has a good spotted photo, let me know, and I'll give it a try.

Chris

Tess (Tassie D)

Quote from: cmpentecost on October 22, 2007, 06:43:28 PM
If someone has a good spotted photo, let me know, and I'll give it a try.

Chris

lol Chris is about to get inundated with spotted photos.  >:D
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Charlene5

Hannie, Hannie, Hannie what IS this "I don't deserve another book" nonsense??  Of course you deserve another book.  You deserve as many books as you want.  Books are in a category all of their own and buying loads of books does not count as an extravagance.  Books are necessities.

Chris, have a look at the back cover of the Ctein at the photo of the author.  As a child of the 60's I can say (with great authority) that he is a casualty of the era :)
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

cmpentecost

Hey MJ,

Yes, Ctein is DEFINITELY a casualty of the 60's.  I wonder when this photo was taken?  With his PS skills, it could be 40 years old.  It doesn't look 40 years old, but he definitely looks like he's at some Vietnam peace rally in this photo!

As for the books Hannie, I always feel guilty when I buy a new PS book, but I reference them all of the time.  I don't necessarily read them, word for word.  But, I pull them out all of the time.  I might find one page in one book that helps me solve the problem, and that is all that matters. 

Chris

Hannie

Quote from: Charlene5 on October 22, 2007, 09:41:14 PM
Hannie, Hannie, Hannie what IS this "I don't deserve another book" nonsense??  Of course you deserve another book.  You deserve as many books as you want.  Books are in a category all of their own and buying loads of books does not count as an extravagance.  Books are necessities.....

That is just what I needed to hear MJ, what took you so long? 

I always felt I didn't know enough and should work my way through at least one book, front to back.  That doesn't work so I will start using them as they were intended, reference books!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Hannie

One can never have too many books! (I'm working on a database, since I inherited all my mother's books when she died 2 years ago.  I'm past 2,000 and still counting.  They're my comfort! NEED INPUT!  And much as I love the internet, nothing beats the tactile joy of a book!)

Glenna

P.S. Ctein's book is one of my favorite references!

And please be gentle with those of us who survived the 60s.  What's the ancient Chinese curse: "may you live in interesting times"?  They must have been prescient about the 60s!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)