• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Almost finished my first (I hope :) )

Started by Atlantis, October 19, 2007, 05:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

I think I almost finished my first restoration for OPR and I would like to share the before & after to see what needs to be done as finishing touches.
But what would be the best way to show them? Hotlink from ImageShack or Photobucket?
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

Hi Atlantis,

I think either would be fine.  I use Photobucket myself for no particular reason.  Works great though!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Atlantis

I might have to resize, warn me if they're to big to post in the forum.

before:

and after - so far :

Hannie

Fabulous job you have done on getting rid of all those scratches and bringing back the right tone!
If you have CS2 you can use shadow/highlight to bring some more detail in the dark spots in the girl's clothes and under her face and at the same time tone down the highlights in her face just a little.
Great job!  :up2:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

:up: Great job Atlantis. I'd put a touch of sepia back in, it gives it that greatold photo feel.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

Sepia comes along with age, but it wasn't the original.  The original more than likely was black and white. The B&W looks good.

Tess (Tassie D)

lol we will have to agree to disagree on sepia.

Sepia Tone History
Originally made from the Sepia cuttlefish, sepia pigment was used to treat printed photos to make them more durable. Consequently, many of the old photographs around today, such as portraits from the 1700s, appear in brown scales due to the sepia toning that has preserved them for so long.

Sepia toning preserves pictures because of a chemical process that turns any silver in the developing photograph into a sulfide. This sulfide is more resistant to aging than silver. Of a black and white photo developed at the same time as one treated with sepia toning (stored in identical conditions), the sepia tone photo would last longer than the black and white. It was used right up to the 1950's
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Tess -- thanks for sharing that information about sepia.  Since I'm not a photographer, that's not something of which I was aware.  Very interesting!

Hannie, you beat me to the punch.  The restoration is wonderful, Atlantis, and the only pick I had was that the shadows had darkened a bit too much.  Then I saw Hannie's post.  Perfect!

By the way, Atlantis, I LOVE your avatar.  So meaningful!

Cheers,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Atlantis

Thank you for your praise and final touch tips  :wnw: I will have some breakfast, put on my glasses, apply this shadow/highlight filter and figure out how to send her back.
Yes, I do work with PS CS2.

.......... done? so many sliders and each choice is personal taste I guess :

And as of the ava, I had to say goodbye to a dear friend a few days before I signed up here. She was always giving her creative talents to help other people and I'm partly doing this in her memory as well.

Hannie

That looks great Atlantis!  If you want to fiddle with it some more the shadow slider can go a tiny bit more to the right, highlight is perfect!
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, must be tough on you...wishing you and your family and friends all the best.

Tess, thank you for the sepia story.  I was always told that sepia photos started out black and white and acquired the color change over the years.  Very interesting to read about it.

As this picture goes I would be inclined not to put the sepia back in, no particular reason, just personal preference,

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Atlantis,

I'm so sorry you lost your friend.  I can't think of a better tribute than to jump into OPR and give to people who have also suffered terrible loss.  I suspect this work is good therapy and a fine way to continue her legacy of good deeds!  Your avatar is a perfect remembrance.

As for this restoration, I'd give it Hannie's suggested tweak and send her home.  If you're concerned about sepia vs. B&W, you could submit one of each.  Fine job!

Bless,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Atlantis,

Sorry for your lost of a friend.  I am sure you will continue her legacy through your work here and in other endeavors.

I have been staring at the stripes of the white post for days and could not figure out what they were.  I thought they might be the adhesive of the photo album and should be removed?
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

Atlantis,

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Your avatar will be a poignant reminder of the many people who have lost their battle with this disease. Hopefully someday this will not have to happen.

I hate to jump in at this late date, especially after you are about to send your pic off, but I too found my eyes drawn to the striping on the post. It reminds me of brick, which it isn't since it's wood. I wonder if you could lighten it so that it doesn't stand out as much.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Sorry to hear of your loss Atlantis. A good friend of mine has just finished treatment and hopefully will be in the clear. Maybe one day they will find a preventative measure for this terrible disease.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Atlantis

I hate to jump in at this late date, especially after you are about to send your pic off, but I too found my eyes drawn to the striping on the post. It reminds me of brick, which it isn't since it's wood. I wonder if you could lighten it so that it doesn't stand out as much.

I'm afraid I already sent it back. Now I wonder if I need to fix it after all. Maybe ask Christine?