• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Why I signed up for OPR...

Started by John, June 21, 2006, 03:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Glad to have you join us!  You'll find restoring photos for those who have lost so much in natural disasters is not only very rewarding but somewhat addictive so it's good you are retired  :)

Pat

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Timruf, we have plenty of photos to keep you busy through the winter months. Don't hesitate to post your progress or ask for help on the Forum. This is a friendly group of people that like to help and also have fun. Great to have you.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marcin

Hello OPR members!
I've read about OPR on Photoshop profile on Google+ and it made me thinking: maybe I should try? I have some Photoshop skills, but am I good enough? I also liked the idea, that I could use my Photoshop skills to help other people. Now, after over 3 years and over 130 restorations I can say, that I like to do it so much, that it became natural for me to check few times a week, if there are some new photos in the galleries. It also has changed my way of looking at the old photos, because I took some family albums to practise :-) Anyway I'm really happy, that I have joined OPR.

Marcin

Tori803

Glad to hear it Marcin! Nice to see you on the Forum.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

A warm welcome to the forum Marcin,  you made the right decision to join OPR.  You have restored quite a few photos already so you will feel right at home here

One word of warning, there are people lurking around at OPR (no names mentioned) and their sole purpose is to muck up photos that were requested by our volunteers.

On the other hand there are friendly volunteers here on the forum that will more than gladly help you out if you get stuck or need an extra pair of eyes.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marcin

Thanks Hannie! I will remember that.

Marcin

Mhayes

Marcin, great to hear hear from you and your thoughts before joining and after having a 130+ restorations under your belt, Hope to see more of you on the Forum as it makes things interesting to hear from others and their perspective on the photos they worked. Plus, it helps newcomers feel more at ease to know what to expect and also ways to solve their problems.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Beth

Along with two others, I run and admin a few pages on Facebook that deal with restoring and/or colorizing aged, damaged photos for our members. These photos are not necessarily damaged from disasters, they are mostly just damaged from age and poor handling over the years.  We do this free of charge and have an open, friendly environment.  We also run another Facebook page where we help people learn how to restore and colorize photos themselves. One of our members posted a link to one of the stories about your group.  What you do here is exactly why we do what we do on our Facebook pages.  We were so excited to see such an organization that we could join and help out with.  We have all jumped on this chance because it fits right in with how we feel about people's memories and helping them preserve the photos that are so precious to them.  It is a passion and an addiction.

Hannie

Hi Beth and a warm welcome from Amsterdam.
Already saw your OPR project in another post and it looks like you will feel right at home here!
Would love to see you Facebook page, sounds like a lot of fun.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Beth

I don't want to break any OPR rules by advertising my page. Is it ok to post a link here?

Hannie

Good question Beth, I don't know!
Will ask around a bit and let you know.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Quote from: Beth on August 25, 2016, 09:30:07 PM
Along with two others, I run and admin a few pages on Facebook that deal with restoring and/or colorizing aged, damaged photos for our members. These photos are not necessarily damaged from disasters, they are mostly just damaged from age and poor handling over the years.  We do this free of charge and have an open, friendly environment.  We also run another Facebook page where we help people learn how to restore and colorize photos themselves. One of our members posted a link to one of the stories about your group.  What you do here is exactly why we do what we do on our Facebook pages.  We were so excited to see such an organization that we could join and help out with.  We have all jumped on this chance because it fits right in with how we feel about people's memories and helping them preserve the photos that are so precious to them.  It is a passion and an addiction.

Beth, that is so interesting!  I'm sure we would all love to see a link to your Facebook just as soon as we know it's okay for you to post the link on our forum.

You are so right about the passion and addiction part and you are going to fit right in around here.  A big welcome from Michigan.  Looking forward to seeing more of you on the forum.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

Beth, I asked around and unfortunately we can't post the Facebook link.  The problem is that we are a registered nonprofit and that would open it others to post about their services and we can't control what goes on. Plus, we are under certain guidelines as a non profit and that means endorsements.

Hope you understand!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

KenStephens

Before the days of Photoshop or digital cameras, my family was hit with an unanticipated flood, and many family photos were destroyed.  In looking at post-flood photos, I see that many of them could have been restored with quick actions at the time (e.g., putting them in water) and today's digital technology.

Having experienced that experience first-hand, it is gratifying to know that I can lessen someone else's grief by restoring family photos.

Mhayes

Hi Ken,

It is amazing how far we have come and the ability to restore digitally allows us to help in ways we never could before. Hope that you can come on one of our copy runs to meet the people we are helping.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]