• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Young fella

Started by kimh, December 06, 2018, 05:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimh

Could I have some feedback on my wip please.

Thanks,
Kim

Original

Wip 1

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

kiska

It appears his left arm is too narrow.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Jo Ann Snover

Take a look at the blue channel and it will show you what's not right about your current WIP - the boy's finger is folded under on the bricks, not the tiny extended pinky in the WIP.

The brick work needs to come up to meet the hand so it isn't floating and you need to put all the shadows back on the arm and on the shirt so it has depth. The shoe laces and grommets can be seen in the blue channel too.

See if the outlines help show that - on the left over the original blue channel and on the right over your WIP:

Jo Ann

Shadow

Looking good Kim. Kiska and Jo Ann's tips will put it over the top.

kimh

WIP2 attached for comments please

Thanks
Kim

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Lynnya

Beautiful job kim.. only thing that caught my eye was his little hand on the bricks doesn't look quite right to me.. if you can fix that it's lovely.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

kimh

That hand has been giving me so much grief, I just can't seem to get it looking right
Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Lynnya

I know... hands are soooo difficult..maybe you need to cheat a bit  ^-^  shsss... I didn't say that...
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Kim, feel your pain. Those hands are tough. Maybe download Jo Ann's full size image where you can see the hand so well and add it as a layer. You can lower the opacity and use it as a guide. Think the seeing where the shading is will help. Good luck!

Jo Ann Snover

Take a look at this version of the arm (you can copy & paste the "finished" one on the right if you want it) with some explanations about how I made the changes. If you turn the outlines on and off over your most recent WIP, you can see that the wrist shape doesn't match the original and that the knuckle is too pointy and has lost any shadows (and thus doesn't look 3D any more)

Let me know if I need to explain in more detail, but I think this looks more believable
Jo Ann

kimh

Thanks for all your help Jo Ann and everyone,
WIP3

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Shadow