• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Graduate

Started by rsvadnie, February 12, 2018, 08:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsvadnie

Okie dokie, working on a new restore. I actually lucked out because there are two similar photos: one of her, and one a relative (?) wearing the same type of graduation gown. It's a slow go and I'm focusing on her face at the moment; I was working on her lips, but decided to come back to them later. I can't sample the lips from her other photo so I need to reconstruct that differently.

Original

In Progress

Lynnya

Lookin mighty good so far.. good luck
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Thanks for sharing and good luck with another challenging one!

philbach

Well I am dealing with the same lady and with similar color problems.  Is the background neutral gray?  Probably not.  I took your photo and just used photoshops auto color and this is what I got.   A little less yellow in this version.  Just a fyi.

phil

Hannie

What a challenge! 
I like your repairs so far and I also like the skin tone on Phil's version.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

I copied the image, changed mode to cmyk and took some yellow out. Background looks brownish?

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rsvadnie

When I dial in super close to the areas least touched by damage it looks like a warm/neutral gray tone for the background. Still plugging away. This is one of those bit-by-bit, mask-by-mask projects. :) I'm putting on a big pot of coffee.  :up2:

Hannie

That coffee should do the trick rsvadnie!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Hannie on February 24, 2018, 09:46:07 AM

Candice

rsvadnie

Quote from: Candice on February 24, 2018, 02:31:54 PM
Quote from: Hannie on February 24, 2018, 09:46:07 AM

*SHOTGUN THAT COFFEE!!!*

I'm alive! I'm still working on the Graduate. It's been a tough one since most of the damage meant a lot of reconstructing from other elements. So ... this latest update still has a lot of things left to do. I've got patches to blend in and color adjust; I need to fix the lock of hair on the left, her lips, and a couple of spots on the face; still need to add in shadows to make everything look natural; the background color.

I pieced the gown and cap together from pieces of a relative's (?) photo with a similar gown. Most of the sleeves and the tassel are from stock photos. It took a long time, and A LOT of staring at the blue channel, to figure out that she had a white color showing (I think that was standard for women at some graduations, while men wore ties; googled it to be sure XD). I got sample textures of a satin type fabric and filled in with that.

I also broke down and bought a graphics tablet. I had one years ago for digital art but exclusively used a mouse with Photoshop work. Why. Did I not. Do this sooner?! Got a nice 10 x 6 for $60 on Amazon and it's made my work so much easier. Sometimes I am too stubborn for my own good.

Lynnya

Looks good on my tiny phone  :up:

Lynnya

Looking on my big screen looks mighty good too.. do you think her eyebrows are a tinsey bit heavy.. or not... great job on the gown  :up: :up: :up:

Shadow

Wowzir! Might need some of that coffee you drink! On her lip and just above her lip is a spot? Beautiful work.

Mshake

She's coming along great!  :up:
Mike