• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Pretty in blue

Started by Shadow, August 10, 2017, 03:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hi Gang. Here with a new one. Silly me! Thought this one would be easier.  :D  So ... checking in with all the gurus here before heading too far down the rabbit hole. Think I'm going to learn a bunch more on this one  ::)  Below are my steps. Is either one on the right track or scrap both and do something different? ALL suggestions and feedback welcome!

Original

Set the gray point (not a perfect gray point) with a Levels layer /clicked with the gray dropper. Then added a Curves Layer and set White to 244 and Black to 15. The skin on the chin seems about right.

Background seemed off so channeling K E I selected the girl with a large feather and did an Auto Curves. Then inverted the mask for the background and ran a second Auto Curves. Shocking difference on the background.

Lynnya

Looks good Lyn.. only thing I did was to bump up the brightness and contrast a bit.. she's a bit flat (not your fault) the photo is old and faded some.. the colors look good to me..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Thanks Lynn. Here's the WIP. The face color is so different than the legs/arms.  Does it look off to you guys? Is this a painted photo? And last but certainly not least ... suggestions on how to approach the background? Thanks all!

Mhayes

Shadow, thinking it may have been painted by looking at her rosy cheeks. That is why it is hard doing color correction. I think the face is darker because of the background ink running over onto her face. Long time ago, and worthless now thanks to Photobucket, we had a good tutorial on how to restore the background to the original.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Shadow

Hi Gang. Using Mary's tips (from link above) I came up with this for the bkgd. Did one with colors from original and in case that is mostly reddish damage, added one with a Hue/Sat to take the bkgd to the blues. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hannie

Shadow, I like the one on the bottom the best with the slight blueish tint in the background.  (great tip from Mary)

In the dress I still see a little of dark staining, or perhaps it is just that some areas are too light due to damage.  However I would even it out a little more?

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Beautiful job Lyn... lovely skin tones and great background! Not an "easy" one for sure lol :up:

Shadow

Thanks girls! The dress does need more attention. Thanks for the feedback.  ;)

Shadow

This might be the final. See anything in need of tweaking Gang?

Lynnya

Not a thing... looks perfect to me Lyn... beautiful job  :up: :up: :up:

Hannie

Shadow, some shading on right side of baby's head/ear are gone.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Thanks Lynn!
Good eye Hannie! Thought it might be damage. Here they are side by side.