• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need guidance please

Started by Oldfaded, July 12, 2011, 03:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfaded

Can I get some critique on this. I am having a very difficult time with the faux rug  and the pants thats for sure.
The photo just looks awful to me.
----------
Original
--

----------
Restored
--

--
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

kiska

Here's a quickie that should help with his left leg. I did the basic levels and curves first.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Oldfaded

Wow, Kiska! That is nice! can you explain more of how you did that?
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Hannie

Kate, if you use the forum search and type e.g. "blue channel" this is one of the many pages that will tell you how to use the blue channel for repair work.
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2296.0.html

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

You should ALWAYS do levels and curves adjustments FIRST.

Levels adjustment layer
go into each channel and move outside sliders to beginning of peak

Curves: double click white dropper, set rgb boxes to 245 EACH, click on whitest part of image. Same for black dropper but set rgb to 15 each.

Another curves layer, click the middle dropper, click different spots on image to improve color. On this one it was too yellow.

Go to channels palette. Click blue channel, select all/copy. Click RGB, THEN paste

Go back to layers palette, set the new blue channel to luminosity.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Tori803

Thanks Kiska. It looks like it takes much longer to explain than to do. We appreciate your taking the time to go over the details.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Oldfaded

Thank you very much Kiska, that was very informative and useful. AND very appreciated. You have been the best one to date with helpful information. That is very sweet of you.
I shall now go see if I can make some magic happen from your mini tutorial.
thanks again.
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Hannie

Kiska, thanks for the reminder me to change the RGB settings to 245 and 15 for the white and black dropper!
(I had to re install Photoshop a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get the usual good readings)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Thanks Kiska! My settings are closed to yours, but I use the ones Soctt Kelby had in his book the Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photgraphers: Shadow Eyedropper: 7 on all rgb; Highlights Eyedropper: 245 on rgb; Midtone: 133 on rgb.

It is so much easier when you do color correction first---even if you think your photo looks good, take a look at it in Levels to see what colors are being clipped.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Oldfaded

Very exciting to get such a productive hand in this. again, your thoughtful help is much appreciated.
This is what I came up with. Of course its not as the same as yours is, but I was once told that if you give 10 people the same cake mix, you will get 10 different cakes.
-----

-----
Now that I have that base, I can go from there. I realize my colors are all over, but I am only looking at getting the technique down, then I can get more serious.
That was a lot of work Kiska, and its been valuable to me. thank you very much.
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Oldfaded

Its looking like I will have to send this one back. Besides the tiny dust cleaning and a few other items,  this is about all I can seem to do... I do believe I am discouraged.  :-\
----

---
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Oldfaded

Ok, one more attempt and this is the final results. I cant say Im totally happy with it.
I may need to calibrate or something as the colors just dont look right to me, but I am spot on with the 'peaks'
----

-----
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Bambi

I agree with all the suggestions everyone has made and I empathize with your frustration, Kate. One technique I use is Lasso>Feather(2-4 px)>Copy>Paste(creates New Layer)>Opacity:30-50percent(so you can see through it)>Free Transform>Warp.

I would have tried to select the sleeve on our left, feather slightly, copy and paste. Set the Opacity of the new Layer so I can see the original through it and use Free Transform>Warp to reshape it to match the original. It sounds hard, but it's pretty easy after you've done it several times. And fun. Then increase the opacity of the new sleeve Layer until it looks natural. I don't ever do this on faces. But it works great with clothes—especially when the Healing Tools don't work.

Remember, it only gets easier!

Bambi

Oldfaded

Thanks Bambi, much appreciated. It does become frustrating when I cant see my next move, and its funny how once I post, then it comes to me...haha
I'll give the lasso a try as after I posted I did see that 'our' right side arm looks a tad malformed.  :huh:
thank you again for taking time to help! :)
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Oldfaded

This is what I came up with... I do believe it will take much more practice, thats what its all about.  :)
the arm and leg is still looking malformed. Just not a natural look.
-----

------
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5