• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Yummy

Started by Tess (Tassie D), May 29, 2011, 08:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

Just thought I'd show you the fun we had today. We went and caught yabbies which are a fresh water crayfish. Caught 17 of them today so we left the cages in and hubby will empty them tomorrow morning before work. I get to cook them then!  :wow:
This vicious fella was first in the pot because he tore the claws off two others before we got him out of the bucket.
We might have to trade with the neighbour who has a freezer full of wild quail.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

What a fantastic photo Tess!  What camera and lens did you use?  

How do you cook the yabbies and do you have a favorite yabby recipe?
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

Yabbies with garlic butter is very nice Pat!

Nice shot Tess.  I thought Bass Yabbies were just about extinct, is there a limit as to how many you can catch?

Enjoy your  meal!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Pat my camera is just a point & shoot Fuji Finepix A600. The yabby happened to pose nicely with his claws up. I think he wanted a finger or 2. To cook you just throw in boiling water for 5 minutes. I put ours in the freezer for 1/2 hour first so they are not aware when they go in the pot.
My favourite recipe would be this one. http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Creamy-Garlic-Yabbies-L7649.html

Hannie the dams around here are full of yabbies. You have a full 10 litre bucket limit per person per day.
Because this area has been in drought for 10 years the yabbies have been hibernating in the deep mud. One lake they drilled for core samples had 10 metres/32 feet deep of just yabbies. We only take the larger ones and throw the littlies back for next year.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

jesterjeni

Here in Indiana, I live accrost the street from a river....never fished the river but i used to go fishing as a child on the lake i grew up on, there were only fish, a few snakes and once in awhile a turtle would grab the line, snapper turtles are the worst. so I was wondering are they like ? is it like shrimp?

Tess (Tassie D)

Just had to look it up and they are like your crawfish/crayfish? The meat is quite sweet , not salty like the ocean ones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish

Hubby rocked home at 7am with another dozen large ones and 15 small. The small ones are in their own bucket to go back to the dam for next year and I'm about to put the big ones in the pot.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

I remember when I was in Arizona there were too many crayfish and locals were encouraged to catch as many as possible.  I didn't know they were introduced there purposely, just read about it in the link you posted, Tess.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Tess, what a great shot! The first thing I thought was how big your yabbie was in comparison to our crayfish. I had crayfish before when we were in the South, but thought they were a lot of work for so little meat. I had never heard of freezing first and does sound more humane than directly to the boiling water. Love the name! You know the spell checker is not Australian when you get suggestions to change yabbie to tabbie, Abbie, and  babbie. (plus it really doesn't like tabbie or babbie either)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Yes they are a lot of work Margie but hubby has gotten very good at peeling them now lol. The best bit is they are free so they taste even better.
Here is the biggest fellow we had.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Good Grief Tess, that looks more like a lobster!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]