• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

how to use the fft filter?

Started by mschonher, February 07, 2008, 09:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klassylady25

I can see where the trip up coming is in at #9.  When I originally learned I was using PS7 and I had to hold down the shift and slide it over to the original layer to create the new luminosity layer and then finish, now it's different.

So here is the corrected tutorial.

How to FFT

1. bring your picture in to photoshop
2. go to image on the toolbar; Image > duplicate
    (you should have two images visible to you now)
3. filter > run FFT RGB
4. change channel to:  red
    (at this point you should see the stars)
5. paint stars - but NOT the center
6. turn back on ALL channels again
7. now run - IFFT RGB
   ( it will look black and white but don't worry)
8. before you move the adjusted photo onto the original you will want to change that layer to luminosity.
9. go to Select and click on All, or the keyboard shortcut of,  Ctrl +A, copy it onto your original which will create a new layer over your original.  You no longer need the duplicated picture that you used the FFT on - it can be discarded.   
10. go back to your original (which is under the luminosity layer) and run median at 2 or 3.
11. lastly hold down your shift/control/alt E - and you will have the new corrected layer.
12. you can color correct at the beginning or at the end (that's a preference)  I've done it both ways.  It really depends on how much information you want to see at the start. 

Hope this helps clarify it a bit. :)

Pelican

Okay, I see what I'm doing different. I don't dupe the image, I dupe the layer. With trying this on several pictures it tends to work better for me. heres a sample. These pics were screen capped at 66% thus the ribbons in the original. A is done with a duplicate image and B was done on a duplicate layer with the whole process done in one document.

Curtis

Original.

A and B

klassylady25

I, too, have done it the way you describe.  It's a matter of the best results.  Yours worked very well on B.   Boy was that a great one to work with it on!   :wnw:

Pelican

Quote from: klassylady25 on May 18, 2008, 05:37:02 PM
I, too, have done it the way you describe.  It's a matter of the best results.  Yours worked very well on B.   Boy was that a great one to work with it on!   :wnw:
This one was a great example. it was someones project on another site and I was trying to show how to use the filter. They were getting hung up on something that I never do and it was just odd to find that I have done it differently all along. I think I know what to tell them now. Thanks for clearing that up. I must have read the tut wrong in the first place. I am dyslexic so thats not surprising.  :)